Thursday, August 5, 2010

Byerly's Progress

Everyday holds its new discoveries of adventures, mountains we must climb, valleys we must cross.. And for my family? We travel via RV and our burden is a loaded down trailer that we pull. Friends and family alike are of the opinion that we should write a book. I'm sure we could make a best seller of it. =)
Today's Journey began Thursday morning promptly at 2 am. Actually, our journey began before we ever pulled out of the driveway. Monday evening my family and I had planned to venture across the wide frontier toward the great plains of the Grand Canyon State. Unfortunately as events turn out, the preparations for the journey took longer than had been expected. Monday, Day 1 - Install Generator for RV. Tuesday, Day 2- Install Generator for RV part 2. Enjoy a good meal and games with Emma, Tom, and family. Wednesday, Day 3 - Install fuel pump on Generator for RV, Oil change on RV, Load Tools in Trailer, Clean up our mess. At 9:00 pm departure was to be had... Wouldn't you know it, the new fuel pump on the new generator went kaput. These are the times when life looks bleak and all hope is lost. BUT never fear! My brilliant father and witty brother came up with an amazing idea to salvage the fuel pump off the old generator and install it in the new generator. So together, with the help of Luke Davies and some much needed coffee and red bull, c(= we managed to commence our adventure Thursday, Day 3 - 2 am. I am delighted to have the great family and friends that I do and consider myself unworthy to have ever known them. =)
Thursday a series of risky and unexpected undertaking of events arose. It all started in Ohio.. Hard to think that some people would call that land home. I call it the Byerly landmine. Seems that whenever we try to pass through unawares, that miserable place always finds us. Before driving through, I asked my dad if there was a way we could bypass it. He then gave me a route that would cost us at least 2 extra days. And so, with much dismay, we followed the evil path on through.. Everything was going splendidly, we were SO close to the Indiana state line. Seventy-five miles til we were out of the death zone when... *BAM!* Jon woke up and me and my mom ran to the back, where we saw it. In the bathroom, all the trim and flooring had popped up. A familiar sound of a dilapidated tire rang out the news. "We gotcha!" Ohio did it again. Congratulations.. Hats off to ya.. You won. Couldn't leave us without a going away present could ya? When the tire blew, it tore into the floor above it and ripped up the trim and engineer flooring in the bathroom. The remains also managed to take a few misc. things with it, such as wires, a fender, and one of the springs to the jacks. I picked up most of these items as I walked Tilly along side the highway. The total damage is still yet to be determined. Tire cost is about $150.. Repair man took 3 hours or so to finally arrive and twenty minutes to change the tire. Roadside service charged us $525. Yes, Ohio, you have definitely won this round. Tried to wipe us off the map completely didn't you? One thing she forgot to take in account though, Byerlys always bounce back. ;0)
We arrived safely in Indiana. Stopped in Indianapolis to see some well loved relatives and who would have thought that my dad would break the key off in the ignition. He then proceeds to lose the half he broke off and frantic efforts to find the missing key arise. Praise the Lord we found the key. However, we could not find it's match. In order to start the RV, my dad used nothing more than half the key and a flat head screwdriver. God never ceases to amaze me. We parked outside of my cousin Missy's to visit for a few hours before heading out once again. My great Aunt Dorothy was overjoyed to see us on her 88th birthday. =) She is one of my favorite people to visit. I could sit and talk with her for hours and never get bored. We were sad to go, but made our promises to return soon. After we said our goodbyes, our tummies reminded us how long it was since eating and as my dad always does, we stopped at the infamous White Castle. Say what you will about them, but I still enjoy them every time we're passing through.

No comments: